Up All Hours with Teething!
Saved article for later
With teething a hot topic for the Up All Hours community at the moment, we asked you to send us your top recommendations for dealing with those pesky teeth!
Here are YOUR Top 10 tips for dealing with teething – Thank you!
1. Amber necklace: Some parents swear by these, others will tell you they saw no benefits at all, so please do let us know how you get on with them. Essentially they are a teething necklace made of Baltic amber; in theory when baby wears it, his body heat triggers the release of a minute amount of oil that contains succinic acid, a naturally-occurring substance in the body. When the oil is absorbed, advocates say, it has an analgesic effect on swollen, sore gums.
There are lots of childrens amber necklaces here at Amber Pumpkin
2. Wet a wash cloth and freeze it: So this is genius! The texture and the cold is great for sore swollen gums. Top tips: Make sure you leave some of the cloth dry before freezing to give your little one somewhere to hold on to. Then roll it up and put it in a freezer bag to stop it sticking to anything else in the freezer. When you get it out, your little one can hold onto the dry end and suck it to their heart's content!
3. Nelsons teething granules: Often described as 'Baby Crack' (not by us we hasten to add!), these have been keeping parents sane for years! They are a homeopathic medicinal product used within the homeopathic tradition, for the symptomatic relief of teething pain and the symptoms associated with teething, which are sore and tender gums, flushed cheeks and dribbling. They are for oral use only and for babies from 3 months old
Directions for use are as follows:
Babies 3-6 months With the baby in an upright or sitting position. Use a spoon. Slowly give the baby half a sachet at a time into the front of the baby’s mouth. Check the granules have fully dissolved before giving the remaining half.
Babies over 6 months With the baby in an upright or sitting position. Slowly pour the contents of the sachet into the front of the baby’s mouth a little at a time. Alternatively use a spoon. Ensure the granules fully dissolve in the baby’s mouth. Use one sachet every 2 hours for a maximum of 6 doses during any 24 hour period.
Nelsons Teething Granules
4. Tooth brush: Lots of you recommended the humble tooth brush as an aid to teething. If you get a children's one, they are small enough for your little one to hold and the bristles give those swollen gums a great massage! Brush Baby have a lovely range and also do a teething toothpaste.
5. Sophie La Giraffe: Since her appearance on Friends, Sophie has been something of a celebrity in her own right in parenting circles but did you know her first brush with fame, was in 1987 when she appeared in Three Men and a Baby, no less? Her thin neck is easy for the little ones to grasp and as she is made from 100% natural rubber derived from the sap of the Hevea tree, she is considered a safe and natural teething toy for your little one. You can pick a Sophie La Giraffe here on Amazon.
6. Pastry brush or Whisk: Who needs professional teething apparatus when you have the kitchen at your disposal! Many of you said, you utilised what was within easy reach, such as a silicon whisk, pastry brush or spatula! Easy for little ones to hold, in the kitchen cupboard and soft on the gums, it's a win win, in our book! Again, Amazon has a lovely range of silicone kitchen utensils here.
7. Yummy Mitt: The worst thing about teethers are the fact that your little one inevitably drops them everywhere and trying to keep them clean and sterile can be a challenge! So this is the answer, a mitt that fits over their little hand, meaning they can gnaw away to their heart's content without making their hand red raw and most importantly, it's secure, which means it can't fall off! Genius!
Grab your Yummy Mitt on Amazon.
8. Frozen fruit: This is a total winner for the Summer especially but can be deployed any time of the year! Freeze some fruit fingers and let them suck or gnaw away happily. It's a great tool for baby led weaning and keeps the swollen gums in check, hopefully giving you some peace too!
9. Vibrating teether: Yes we were slightly worried where this was going too but it is a thing and great one at that! The vibrations are soothing to the little ones and keep them occupied too! We were recommended this one Infantino Vibrating Teether
10. Silicon banana: Yes, we know this is basically a toothbrush in the shape of a banana but it's so much more than that! The peeled section of the banana makes a great set of handles and it is even dishwasher proof! This one hits the spot and is avaliable next day on Amazon Prime Baby Banana Teething Toothbrush
We would love to keep adding to this list, so please do send us your top teething tips and we can keep this list updated. We are at [email protected] - Thank you!