Buy a good quality puff pastry that has only a few natural ingredients
Saved article for later
Makes 30 sausage rolls.
For the Sausage Meat • 1 large or 2 small leeks • 1 red onion • Some olive oil for frying/greasing • 100g feta cheese • 30g parmesan cheese • 2 tsps dried mixed herbs • 500g pork mince
To complete the sausage rolls • 1 packet (230g) ready roll puff pastry (good quality, minimal ingredients) • 1 egg, whisked • A little flour for dusting
- Top and tail the leek(s) and chop finely into very small pieces. Peel the red onion and finely chop.
- Saute the leek and red onion over a low heat in a little olive oil until soft. Tip onto a plate and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl grate the parmesan and crumble the feta, then combine all the ingredients together until evenly mixed. You can do this by hand, or using the ‘pulse’ setting on a food processor. Ensure it is well combined, but don’t over process.
- Pre- heat the oven to 180°C fan / 200°C / gas 6 and roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut the pastry in half to make two long rectangles.
- Place the sausage meat in a large sausage shape down one side of each of the rectangles. Spread a little whisked egg down the edge of the pastry rectangles, then fold the one side over the top of the sausage meat to make two long parcels, sealing it down with the egg. Do this on both rectangles
- Slice each big rectangle into little sausage rolls, about 3cm wide
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and spread out the individual sausage rolls on the tray. Brush each one with a little egg, then pop into the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and the sausage meat is cooked through – cut one open to check
- Allow to cool and serve
There are lots more tasty family and baby recipes on the Organix Website